Wednesday 14 June 2017

New phase: rebuilding the body!

Ok I've reached critical point!

I'm somewhere around half way between my lightest weight and my heaviest. I don't want to get any bigger! My pains are getting worse again and I have a lot of pain in my hip. I've been to the doctors about my hip and they referred me to physio. In the mean time, I have found a good sports therapist who has also been giving me physio. He does therapy, massage, stretching and acupuncture. He's also a personal trainer although he doesn't train me as he only does it in the city. I've given him the full low down on all my pains and asked him to help me bring my body back into alignment, as I'm sure many of the problems are synergistic. He has helped a bit and has given me some acupuncture , which I've never tried before. I have not been doing much exercise or stretching between visits though.

The NHS physio, tried a couple of exercises and put an insert in my shoe as he said I was pronating on one side. After three visits, he said he was all out of ideas and didn't understand what the root cause of the pain was. He said he couldn't really help me and that I should just carry on with exercises and stretching. (He didn't know I was seeing a private physio).

I have now decided to get a personal trainer on board. I was hoping the physio would be able to do that too, but as I said he does physio in Brentwood, but only does PT in London. I did a little bit of research and found someone who specifically has good  knowledge/qualifications in biomechanics. That's the study of how the body moves and how one part affects others etc. All PT's claim to be able to help you with imbalances, but I'm looking for more detail than that. The guy I have found, got into his profession due to his own pains and trying to resolve his own issues, so I feel he's walked a similar path of discovery to me. He is also in to using foods rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which is something I was hot on in the past. He is looking forward to the challenge of trying to "fix" me. He has sat and done a very comprehensive questionnaire with me and I've had to send him photos of everything I've eaten this week (food diary). The next step is that he will do a full body survey, checking movement and range of motion through a series of tests and exercises. He will then give me a nutrition plan and an exercise plan. I'll see him once a week.

This week, my hip pain has got really bad and turned into severe back pains. The pains were so bad on Saturday that I was almost in tears and nearly throwing up with the pain. My physio thinks it might be Piriformis syndrome and having looked it up on the internet, it seems to fit. So at the moment, I'm just trying to get the inflammation down and sort that out.

I'm supposed to be doing Race For Life Muddy this weekend, but at the moment it is looking highly unlikely.

I'm really looking forward to starting my new plan with my PT. I feel like I'm really ready to knuckle down and do it right again. The pain I've been in this week has also served as a timely reminder of what happens when I don't look after myself.

Watch this space!

Onwards and upwards. Keep on keeping on. #FasterHigherStronger

No comments:

Post a Comment